Elliott & Company was founded by Peter Elliott in 1991 to offer a bespoke civil and structural engineering service to Architects and Clients working on the conservation and alterations of older buildings and the design of modern highly detailed structures.
- We have a committed team of Engineers who are passionate about design.
- We have developed an international reputation for working on historic listed buildings and ancient scheduled monuments through our considerable knowledge of traditional and specialist building forms, particularly those used in Scotland.
- We embrace the principles of sustainable engineering both for new build and restoration projects, and offer design solutions with consideration for the lifetime costs of the buildings.
- We have gained a reputation for minimal intervention, and where strengthening works are required, we endeavour to ensure there is no visual impact wherever possible.
- We enjoy working with a broad range of Clients ranging from the National Trust of Scotland, Historic Environment Scotland, University of Edinburgh to Commercial Developers and Private Clients.
- We work on projects throughout Scotland and in the North of England.
Peter Elliott, Founder
Peter established the practice in 1991 to provide a bespoke structural design service to clients and architects. He cared passionately about Scotland’s history and heritage, and enjoyed the challenge of making new buildings as part of that continuum, contributing his considerable structural knowledge and engaging with the design process to achieve many noteworthy renovations and modern interventions.
Peter was a Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers, Member of Institution of Civil Engineers and Associate Member of The Chartered Institute of Arbiters, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries Scotland and served as Vice-President of ISCARSAH (ICOMOS’ international scientific committee for structural conservation), while critically remaining the master of hands on engineering and creating an ever-learning organisation around him. The practice continues to build on Peter’s legacy.
John Charlton MEng (Hons) CEng, MICE and SER Certifier, CARE registered
John joined the practice in 2013 having previously worked for large international consultants on a variety of UK and overseas projects including British Embassies in Africa and Asia. He has worked across a wide range of sectors including education, healthcare, commercial, residential and leisure and has a particular interest in conservation of historic structures. Recent projects include conservation of Old Castle Lachlan, Loch Fyne, repairs to historic glasshouses for the National Trust of Scotland and structural design for an award winning sculpture at the Fourth Plinth, Trafalgar Square. John is a Chartered Engineer and an Approved Certifier of Design under the SER scheme for Certification of Design (Building Structures) in Scotland.
John is an accredited Conservation Engineer with CARE (Conservation Accreditation Register for Engineers), a scheme run by the Institute of Civil Engineers that identifies structural engineers skilled in the conservation of historic structures and sites.
Jemima Elliott MA (Hons) FSAScot
Jemima is Financial Director and has been involved in developing the business since it was founded in 1991. A historian by training, she encourages our team to refer to original sources and make good use of our extensive library. She provides the long view and takes an active interest in all aspects of our project work, as well as being responsible for financial and administrative matters.